Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lemon Creme Bars


I found this new recipe for Lemon Bars and made them for the first time this weekend. This recipe is a lot easier to make then traditional lemon bars. And for those people that have a liking for oatmeal cookies this is the perfect recipe for you. It isn't as tart as other lemon bars but has a nice zing and light taste for summer barbecues.

1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
1 egg
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice

Heat oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix, using fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly. Press half of cookie mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes. In small bowl, stir condensed milk, lemon peel and lemon juice until thick. Spread over baked crust. Crumble remaining cookie mixture over top. Bake about 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Store covered in refrigerator.

I doubled the recipe and used a 13 X 9 inch pan.

4 comments:

Scott said...

These have grown on me quite a bit. They are almost gone in fact... I still maintain that using more lemon juice and dropping the lemon extract would improve them...

Laurann said...

Where did devfalse come from? Thanks for the suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I made these for some friends lastnight, and they were a big hit. Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's KIM. I didn't know it wouldn't show my name. But it is a really good recipe. I love that the filling is mostly condensed milk. Where did you get it?