Monday, March 28, 2011

Auto Immune Disease

I found out today that Charlie has an auto immune disease.  His immune system started attacking his thyroid.  I took him to the vet last week because I noticed he started losing the hair on his hips. This is a sign of thyroid issues.  I didn't know that until we went to the vet last week.   I picked up medicine for him today. The best part is that they are chewable and not super expensive.  He has to go back to the vet in month to have another blood test to check his thyroid levels.  His dose right now is twice a day.  If his levels are up he will maybe be once a day.  The vet did say as he gets older it is likely the dose will increase.  The medicine isn't a cure, it is a supplement to help his low functioning thyroid work better.  He will have to take it the rest of is doggie days.  I hope this helps him start to feel better. I love him all the way!!!!!

1 comment:

calittle14 said...

Oh that is sad....It is interesting that dogs seem to have health problems just like people. I hope that you can help him manage it. Good luck!