Monday, February 13, 2012

Resolutions vs Goals

I've always wondered what the difference is between a resolution and a goal.  I went to the ever trusted Google to look them up.


Resolution: the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.

Goal:  the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it.

So, is it more appropriate to set New Year's Resolutions or Goals?  I set New Year's Both!  I set some of both.  I didn't know that is what I did but after having read the definitions I do set both.  This year I want to do a couple of things.  I think that all of them can be defined as goals:

1. Watch all of the DVD's in my DVD library.  That was until I counted them and realized there are 92.  I would have to watch more than one a week which isn't an option because of time.  I will watch 32 instead, because that is my age.

2. I want to go on a vacation outside of the United States.  Possibly Chile or Australia.

3. I want to lose 32 pounds.  Again associated with my age.

4. I want to have a certain amount in my savings.  Which amount I am not going to disclose here to remain private but I do have a specific.  Hence the spending freeze in my life which you can read about in previous posts.

So, there it is folks my list of New Year's goals.  All very selfish and personally beneficial.

Happy New Year!  (A month late on my post! )

1 comment:

calittle14 said...

It's better late than never, right? I think it's important to keep reviewing them so we can keep working on them. I fell off the bandwagon, but am getting back on. These sound great. Good luck!