Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Mom Did it For Me..

One of my new year's resolutions was to make a quilt.  I decided I wanted to make a 4th of July quilt to take to parades, fireworks, picnics etc in the summer during the 4th of July celebrations.  I went to the store and choose the pattern and picked out the fabric.  I spent almost and entire Saturday cutting all of the peices.  Then I figured out the color scheme and pattern.  

I have a sewing machine but haven't used it since I was a senior in high school.  A few weeks ago I was planning to stay in Morgan on a Friday night after volunteering for the Wasatch Back Rely.  I decided to take my fabric to use my moms sewing machine because it was nicer and already set up.  I was up late that Friday night at the race and was exhausted on Saturday morning.  My mom said to me when I woke up, "Why don't you go back to sleep and I will sew your quilt for you. "  I didn't object.  She pieced the entire quilt together for me.

I also wanted to have the quilt professional machine quilted because of time and energy.  I didn't want to have to worry about getting it done.  My mom knew this and being the great lady that she is, found someone to quilt it for me, provided me with the batt to go inside, took the quilt to the lady, paid the lady to quilt it, picked it up, and finished all of the binding.  I didn't know she had done all of that.  She called me last Sunday morning and told me my quilt was done.  I said, "What" she said.  I picked it up yesterday, it is done.  I did it for you. 

I was so happy.  I have been overly stressed lately with work and starting school in a month, trying to train for the 1/2 marathon and everything else, I didn't think I would have time to get the quilt done.  It was one of the best surprises I have ever had, when my mom called and said my quilt was done.  I love her so much.  I'm so happy to have her in my life.  And, I love my quilt.  It turned out just the way I wanted it.  Happy 4th of July!!

2 comments:

calittle14 said...

That is awesome! We have the best mom ever! She is amazing and very thoughtful. That is a fun quilt to have.

Aubrey said...

I need someone's mom to do that with my denim quilt that I've been working on for nearly forever. Too bad my mom lives far away and doesn't sew.